“When you’re working in an organization where something happens and there is a mistake or something goes wrong, and legitimately you played a role in that is to take ownership of your mistakes, and not to put it off on someone else. Not to belittle your role, but take full ownership of that and use that as a learning experience so that you can, again, build from that.” – Dr. James Bryant
Are you tired of feeling stuck in your circumstances and not achieving your goals? Our latest episode of Engineer Your Success will inspire you to take ownership of your life and engineer the success you deserve. Today Dr. James shares a personal story of overcoming credit card debt and taking control of his finances while in graduate school. He emphasizes the importance of self-awareness, accountability, and a growth mindset in achieving success. Our host outlines six key steps to taking ownership, including self-reflection, setting goals, taking action, and learning from setbacks. Join our monthly community meetings and hire a coach to receive support and hold yourself accountable on your journey towards success. Tune in to this episode to learn how taking ownership can lead to personal and professional growth.
Let’s dive in!
[00:00 – 04:43] The Power of Taking Ownership and Overcoming Burnout
- Introduction to the importance of taking ownership for success
- The impact of taking ownership on long-term success in business and life
- How taking ownership can prevent burnout
[04:44 – 10:08] Breaking Free from a Victim Mentality
- Understanding the meaning of taking ownership
- Being responsible for actions and results
- The dangers of an external locus of control
[10:09 – 15:42] Overcoming a Poverty Mindset
- Dr. James’ experience growing up with a poverty mindset
- How facing financial struggles increased self-awareness and confidence
- The role of a friend in developing a plan to tackle debt
[15:43 – 21:08] Closing Segment
- Taking ownership in mistakes builds trust in organizations and teams
- Reframing failures as learning experiences
- Parting Notes
Let’s connect! Find me on my LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram. I’d love to hear from you.
You have the strength of a hero within you. Check out my website www.engineeryoursuccessnow.com and learn how to unlock your potential and achieve success both in business and in life.
Register for the Engineer Your Success On-Ramp: http://bit.ly/3SUeilY
Mastering Crucial Conversations: Advanced Training Session
Additional Effective Communication Resources
“It is really difficult for you to build on something if you are not willing to take hold of that ideal or hold on to the issue. And so without ownership, you’re really at the whims of other people, you’re really at the whims of your circumstances.” – Dr. James Bryant
“Once you start seeing success, and once you start executing a plan, you have greater motivation and drive to keep going, greater motivation and drive to keep going.” – Dr. James Bryant