“What you can control is yourself. What you can control is how you communicate. What you can control is how you package your communication. What you can control is your body. What you can control is your emotional intelligence.” – Dr. James Bryant
In this episode of Engineer Your Success Podcast, Dr. James Bryant dives into the Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens and provides strategies to help you improve your communication skills. From understanding why we communicate to recognizing signs of miscommunication, this episode will have you equipped with the knowledge and tools to ensure your message is heard and understood by the intended recipient. Dr. Bryant also shares his insights on how to actively listen, avoid making assumptions, and package what you have to say in a way that resonates with the listener. Plus, don’t forget to tune in to his virtual meeting on February 28th where he’ll discuss eliminating procrastination and provide further practice steps to reach your personal goals. It’s time to take charge of your future – join us now on Engineer Your Success!
Let’s dive in!
[00:00 – 07:02] Learn How to Communicate Effectively and Achieve Work-Life Balance
- Communication helps build relationships, express feelings, and make decisions
- We communicate because we want to be seen, heard, and understood
- Our communication style can be adapted to fit our environment
[07:03 – 14:30] Unlock Your Future: Signs of Miscommunication and How to Avoid It
- Miscommunication occurs when the message being sent is not accurately received or understood by the recipient
- The communicator needs to take ownership of their role in miscommunication
- Common causes of miscommunication include language barriers, cultural differences, emotional state, perception, and thinking that one has been heard
- Signs of miscommunication include confusion and misinterpretation
[14:31 – 21:46] Improve Your Communication Skills and Connect Meaningfully
- Learning to adapt to make a connection between what you’re saying and what the other person is interpreting
- Signs of lack of engagement, such as talking to someone who is not paying attention
- Biggest mistakes in communication include: wanting to be heard but really wanting to be obeyed, not actively listening, interrupting, being vague and unclear, making assumptions, and being defensive
- Practical tips to improve reception of message include seeking connection
[21:47 – 10:08] Closing Segment
- Begin with the end in mind and have a plan for communication
- Listen actively and seek to understand before being understood
- Connect with James (links below)
- Parting Notes
You have the strength of a hero within you. Check out my website https://betteryou4u.com/ and learn how to unlock your potential and achieve success both in business and in life.
Important Resources to Note:
- Click here https://sleekbio.com/jbryant for important resources mentioned on this podcast.
“Our perception of the world influences the way that we understand and interpret messages.” – Dr. James Bryant
“Don’t make assumptions.” – Dr. James Bryant